Young at Heart
Young at Heart is dedicated to bridging the gap between university students and the elderly population of Lexington through service in order to form lasting relationships, reduce social stigmas, and increase awareness of issues surrounding seniors and aging.
- Adopt a Grandparent is a weekly volunteer program at Morning Pointe and Willows at Fritz Farm. Students are paired with a resident at facility of their choice and are expected to meet with their adopted grandparent once a
week. Monthly meetings are held to check-in with students and
reflect on time spent volunteering. This program allows students to
form lasting relationships with residents and gives residents
something to look forward to.
- Scrabble Sundays: Once a month we visit with different nursing homes in the Lexington community and have a game afternoon. We bring a bunch of different games, including scrabble, and just get to hang out with various residents.
- Senior Prom: Each Spring, we partner with the UK College of Pharmacy to host a “prom” at a nursing home. It is always a 50s themed event and we play games and dress up with the residents.
- Education Events: Starting this semester, Fall 2019, we will be having one education event where students can come out and learn more about nursing homes, Young at Heart, and the Aging Population.
- Director: Olivia Walker, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adopt a Grandparent Chair: Hannah Stumbo, email@example.com
- Promotions and PR Chair: Mikayla Wiener, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education and Events Chair: Shey Trent, email@example.com